Local yarn shop In South Goa

Where to shop for yarns in South Goa

 *Update on this post.  This shop is not delivering to anywhere in India.  The old man caters only to local buyers.

Several russian tourists have asked me on ig on where they can get yarns when they come to Goa. There isn't really much source and choice if I just shop in the local market.  I remember a friend telling me that fishes are the only thing that you will get a lot of choices if you come to Goa. That was funny!

As for other craft materials and fabrics anyone will definitely find a lot of it,  beads, ribbons, flowering making materials ( like for those wedding ensembles).  Some shops that are selling buttons, ribbons, sewing threads, are also selling yarns, but they will have a limited supply of it.  There's this one shop in Margao, that is specially selling yarns that are produce in India. For acrylic yarns, local people mostly refer or call it "wool", maybe because acrylic is like artificial wool to the touch, but I also find cotton crochet threads in this shop, pearl cotton and the anchor knitting cotton i often use for crochet garments I make.

yarnshop in Margao, Goa
The shop's attendant/owner is an old man, but recently he's got a new lady assistant.  The shop is located in Margao's New market.  The shop has a good range of locally produce Indian brand yarns like Ganga, anchor embroidery and crochet/knitting cotton threads, anchor red heart threads, vardhman yarns, pony crochet hooks and knitting needles, sewing threads, sewing needles.  On the side of the door the are these unbranded acrylic yarns in hanks, the colors are really lovely.  The  texture is acceptable for making clothing. I think I would prefer using it over vardhman mellenium. He's also got fancy yarns stack up along the side of the door, but I've never tried using that.

Margao New Market

Looking at the map, I have to come at Rua F de Loiola Road.  There's an entrance to the market just across Noor textiles.  It is just the second or third shop from the entrance just facing this Goa Sausages Centre(which can be seen from the road).  

Ganga baby joy and Hobby India

These yarns I got from this local shop.  It was just for me to try, both types are acrylic and in 100grams/skein.   Baby Joy isn't bad at all and it for Rp110/skein.  I have used one of the previous color that I have already and made it into baby bonnets.  It has 

baby bonnet using ganga baby joy
  I like the feel of this hobby India and it cost only Rp75/skein.  It's thickness is like thread and it has a range of colors too. I'll give it a try on my needles or hook the soonest.  I hope Ganga will produce more blends in the future.  Mostly are acrylic and acrylic blends are produce, but I hope to see more cotton or cotton/blends.


unbranded acrylic yarns
These yarns are those that come in hanks, but i have winded later on.  I used these yarns mostly for decorations if my customers ask that they want a tablecloth in wool and not cotton.  The shop sells this per kilo, a hank will be around Rp35-40.

Going further down south is Canacona.  Probably they also have a local supplier there of yarns and threads. I am staying around 20-30 minutes from Margao, which is the nearest local market around for those who are in Cavellosim, Varca, Benaulim, and Colva.  These are the touristy area around the vicinity which are all on the beach side.  

So, if you are coming to South Goa and looking for yarns or a local craftshop check this out.   Margao is just 30-40 minutes from the airport by taxi or rickshaw.  Let me know what other things you'll be able to get here and if this is helpful for you crafters, knitters, crocheters.
 

 











Comments

Snizel D'Cunha said…
Could u plz tell me the name of this shop?nd where exactly is it located?
Snizel D'Cunha said…
Can I get various sizes of crochet needles there??
Unknown said…
Thanks so much! I was so thrilled to find that there was a decent yarn shop in Goa. I live in North Goa porvorim I haven't found one comprehensive yarn store yet. would you happen to know of any shops in North Goa and also do do you know the name of the shop you mentioned in your post so I can visit if I'm able come to south Goa. I like to crochet dolls :)
knitwerks said…
I was able to.buy a pony crochet hook once only..i think the shop must be carrying different sizes too.
knitwerks said…
Sorry i dont know of any shops that sell in north goa..but i know someone who sells in her own home...will make a post about that..